Directorate of Research Science and Technology
the department of research science and technology (drst), was established as a specialist research and development directorate in the then ministry of research, science and technology (mrs&t), through presidential circular 1/87 of 8th june 1987.
Mandate and Functions
The mandates of the Directorate of Research Science and Technology are as follows
- Formulate national policies for Science, Technology and innovation.
- Oversee the implementation of national policies for Science, Technology and innovation by various government agencies.
- Spearhead bilateral and multilateral cooperation in Science Technology and Innovation.
- Coordinate services for science, Technology and innovation across national and County Governments.
The specific functions of the Directorate are:
- Coordinate the formulation, review and implementation of national policies for Science, Technology and innovations.
- Facilitate County Governments efforts to formulate, implement and review policies in Science, Technology and innovation.
- Determine and advice on human capital skills and training requirements for Science, Technology and Innovation.
- Initiate, negotiate and participate in strategic international collaborations and partnerships in Science, technology and innovation.
- Promote Kenya's science diplomacy in strategic missions abroad
- Coordinate Implementation of international commitments, programs and projects on science and technology.
- Facilitate science, technology and innovation collaboration between national and county governments, industry and academia.
- Establish and maintain an inventory and observatory system for National Science, technology & Innovation statistics.
- Coordinate establishment of Science Centers and Museums of Science, Technology and Innovation Establish and coordinate science and technology and innovation recognition and reward system.
- Develop monitoring and evaluation systems for science, technology and innovation policies and strategies.